Agricultural Institute of Slovenia is a public research institute founded in 1898 making it the oldest institution of its kind in Slovenia. It is a non-profit state institution rendering a public service. The founder, the Government of the Republic of Slovenia, exercises its founder rights through three ministries: the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food, and the Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning.
The Institute is registered for the performance of the following activities: basic, applied, and developmental research; expert tasks determined by law; laboratory and infrastructure services; supervision and control of the quality of agricultural products and products used in agriculture; consultancy; training and postgraduate education of researchers; publication of the findings and results of its research, expert, and control tasks and sales of own marketing products.
Areas of activity:
- Crop and seed science and vegetable production;
- Genetics, breeding, maintenance breeding, and genebanks for food and agriculture;
- Animal production (cattle production, pig production, apiculture);
- Fruit growing, viticulture, and oenology;
- Plant protection;
- Control of the fertility and quality of agricultural land;
- Agricultural ecology;
- Soil use and protection;
- Agricultural engineering and energy production;
- Analysis of soil, mineral, and organic fertilisers, animal feed, honey, pesticide residues, and pesticides;
- Analysis of wine, must, and spirits;
- Agriculture economics.
The Institute performs its activity within 13 departments and an independent Service for Official Certification of Seed and Plant Propagation Material. The Institute also houses a library and an INDOC centre with more than 33,000 books of specialised literature.
The majority of research and professional work is done at the laboratories and in experimental fields and plantations:
- Experimental Station for Fruit Growing – Brdo pri Lukovici,
- Infrastructure Centre Jablje,
- Trials Centre for Potato Moste pri Komendi,
- Selection-experimental station for bees at Senično pri Golniku and
- Collection-experimental blueberries plantation at the Drenovi grič.
The video presentation is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDohR5PiQB0.